At first I was so ecstatic about working in NYC. I missed the hustle and bustle of city life. I missed seeing the beautiful tall buildings and city skyline during the commutes. And then it hit me. I had forgotten about the OTHER miscellaneous things that I hated about working in the city. These are just my personal pet peeves in no specific order:
- City bikes are everywhere. Last time I never had any issues which was over 10 years ago. Today, they are all over the city. You can now rent them at multiple locations throughout the city. If you are not paying attention or have your earphones in with loud music playing (like myself), you will be hit. No mercy. Ugh.
- There are homeless people near my train station. I truly forgot about that. You know you feel horrible and want to help out but there’s just not enough that you can do about it. Sigh.
- Crowds of commuters shuffling through to fit through one small door to get on the train. It’s actually quite amusing and must look hysterical from the outside.
- The train delays have been ridiculous. I am in the process of finding other means to getting into the city. It’s been that bad.
- The random smells of garbage/sewer on every city block are so potent they will knock you off your feet. It is seriously disgusting. Yuck!
I guess with only five reasons it is safe to say that it could be worse. These are manageable and I can avoid them except for #3 and #4. If you have any others that I failed to mention, do share them in the comments below. I would love to hear them. Thanks!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. - Maya Angelou